View Single Post
Old May 20th, 2016, 04:37 PM   #86
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
The quality on the video is too low to actually see any detail.

If you haven't taken the pilot screw O-ring out, you haven't actually verified that it's good and you haven't completely cleaned the pilot passage.

Likewise, the float valve's tip needs to be free of any sort of deformation. If it doesn't match up to the valve opening correctly, it won't make a proper seal.

The rubber parts are consumables. They break down over time and are intended to be replaced. As I said, if one part is bad, it's a good indication the others are too, and you already determined the bowl O-ring was bad.

If you want to fully fix this problem, you need to do 100% of the necessary work. If you can't state without a doubt that something is in good condition, it needs to be replaced. If you haven't verified proper flow through the passageways, you're not done. If you don't check everything, you're going to still have bad parts in your carbs.

In theory, cleaning a carb is easy. You just take it apart and clean all the parts and passageways and make sure nothing is too used-up. In reality, most people don't actually take the time to get into all the passageways, and skip parts because they don't think it's important (even though they don't know what the part is or how it affects operation of the carb).

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote