View Single Post
Old December 4th, 2022, 06:09 AM   #1
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Pulling the carbs and doing a valve check.

Hi all.
I am in the middle of pulling the carbs on my 2012 Ninja 250R
and I've seen 2 or 3 videos on checking the valves on youtube.
one method took off the radiator to get it out of the way
and the other just drained the system and pulled the inlet pipe on top of the head ...just to get the valve cover off....
but the latter one was a 2008 model and they were adjustable valves , Mine are valve shims ( I have a set of valve shims and a Mic and a caliper)
so I am wondering sense the bike only has 5600 miles on it and it has had an easy life so far... and i probably won't have to remove the cams to change the shims....
would it be easier just to drain the coolant and remove the inlet tube so I can get the valve cover off and out to check the valves , or would it be easier in the long run to just pull the radiator and get all that stuff out of the way so I can work on it ?
I'm leaning toward just pulling the inlet tube and fighting getting in there with the feeler gauge from the top instead of from the front. can that even be done on this model ?
also getting the carbs off is giving me pause... one look at all of those vacuum lines that I cannot see where they go is giveing me chills
...I thought about taking a picture or 3 of how the lines are currently routed
but if I can't see where they go, the camara can't either !

what do you guys suggest ?
pull the radiator
or
pull the intake pipe on the top of the head and go in with the feeler gauges from the top.....

either way it's not an easy task for this old man, but having to take the radiator off seems like a waste of time to me ! but it would not surprise me that that is the best way to accomplish the task !
thanks for your input !

Bob.....