View Single Post
Old February 17th, 2017, 05:31 AM   #2
Ducati999
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

This is just my opinion and we all know what they say about opinions!
Lorenzo has stated that he needs the Power to be really smooth (quoted from the Moto GP.com site interview with GiGi) at small throttle openings for him to use his "corner speed" riding style that has made him a champion. Ducati is now working on improving "Mid corner turning" for their bike. I believe the exhaust is to make a variable restriction (just like the variable length velocity stacks) exhaust to help smooth out power where needed. Power can be manipulated by exhaust length and exhaust diameter so should the "petals" open wide for full power and then close up at the proper time to increase back pressure when more torque is needed/desired this could be a great advantage. All the new Ducati superbikes have an exhaust valve in the collector under the bike to add low end torque and also help with noise emissions. This might be a lighter more high tech solution to this valve.

Or I might be totally wrong but all the MFG's are using different ideas to adjust/smooth out the power band/delivery of their rediculosly powerful motors. Suzuki has Variable valve timing and they all use electronics so this may just be the next thing to try.
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote