View Single Post
Old April 16th, 2016, 02:18 PM   #24
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohawk View Post
FYI the resistance of external coils is 3ohm, the CoP's are 1.5ohm, I worried about this when I fitted CoP's to my 800 4 years & a good few thousand miles ago. So I tested a CoP in place after a long run, the CoP is inside the plug tunnel so does not get cooled & they are designed to run like that. I got 2.5ohm resistance whilst hot after the few minutes it took me to get access ! No CDI or ECU damage.

Head access was my main reason for doing this & I'll be fitting a big bore 282cc later in the year.
I'm not sure if the 250 is the same, but the 500 coils are considered in spec down to 2.2-2.3Ω (I measured my low-mileage '09 coils and CoPs at the same 3Ω and 1.5Ω). If the Ninjette coils are similar, then the CoPs up to temp are actually completely within spec.

Our igniters on the 500 seem to be pretty black-box, so I don't know exactly what components are inside them. But from my basic understanding of how a CDI system works, I don't think there's much in the circuit that would even be affected by a slightly lower impedance CoP anyway. Obviously closer to spec is better, but I came to the conclusion that I wouldn't really be hurting anything.

Mine are still going great. My only related plans are to add some supports for them, since the 500's plug wells are much more open than the 250's.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote