View Single Post
Old August 27th, 2019, 05:34 PM   #64
Mechanikrazy
ninjette.org guru

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): Thruxton R, R6 450 triple, EX300 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelDanger View Post

Hi all,
I did a search here for CSS and found this thread. MK, I don’t own a 250 but have rented little ninjas from feel like a pro before. Lol, recognize those in some of the pics here. Good stuff.

Just got back this week from the CSS school up at the ridge. So i am reading the thread and Misti’s name pops up. Ha! She was my coach this week. Too cool.

I ride as many trackdays as I can but local trackdays in texas are, light on meaningful instruction. Seat time alone does little for improvement in my case. But it is fun like nothing else. The personal attention and drills at CSS for your riding sins were an absolute pleasure. Time to buy a lottery ticket, I need more of this in my life! Then I found your thread. Great discussion. Keep it coming as I am your sponge.

I first attended CSS in 2005, Misti was also my coach then too. (Yes, really)! I need to do this more often after doing level 4. All the focussed attention gave me a lot to start lifting me off what felt like a developmental flat spot. Need to do this again. And again.

So I am long winded getting to this question:
$ is a finite resource. Each year I try to do a couple fly away track days. Rental bikes are required. CSS has everyone beat.
($200 for an s1000rr.. i had never ridden anything so magic. Quite a contrast to my nsr50r trackbike.)

But with travel, the overal expense is significant. So, if I have to pick a track for next year (just one), I want to ask, what’s your favorite track on the CSS calendar? I can’t do them all, gotta choose.

Please share why it is your pick if you don’t mind. I got two votes for VIR this week. Agree? Disagree. Please help a humble student.
I definitely get the $ issue. I always do get a bit green with envy for some of the folks who can afford to do a ton of CSS days each year. I haven't been to all of the CSS tracks and @Misti has way more laps around them.

That being said, I agree with the VIR (North) recommendations. It has a fantastic combination of corners, elevation change, restaurant and spa on site, and guest rooms overlooking the front straight. If you have been to the California tracks, the amenities at VIR will put Laguna to shame. I haven't ridden Barber, but the museum there was worth the visit even without track time.

I also do enjoy the home track of Streets of Willow, which has nice elevation change and variety of corners, but it is not in the same tier as VIR and Barber in my opinion.

Since budget is a consideration, I would recommend doing Laguna and Sears/Sonoma with trackdays (such as Carters at the Track) as CSS has only run the more expensive 2-day schools in recent memory.

Regarding Thunderhill and NJMP, one thing to note is that CSS does not ride the main tracks--Thunderhill (East) and NJMP (Thunderbolt). Instead, they ride West and Lightning. This is just something to think about if you want to go racing (AFM runs East and CSS runs Thunderbolt) or practice on a specific track.

Just my personal preference, but Vegas is my least favorite track. It is nearly completely flat and just meh.

Have fun!
Mechanikrazy is offline   Reply With Quote