View Single Post
Old September 22nd, 2017, 09:07 AM   #23
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacRyann View Post
(SNIP)
Every tyre that's not a top-of-the line Pirelli is not going to spontaneously explode and kill everyone on the planet!
I never said it would - and some Pirellis aren't all that great from my experience (they dry, crack, and lose traction quickly, but...)

I've never had a blow-out or a tire come apart on me, and that's not what I was suggesting was the biggest danger with the OP tires.

When I decide to corner, maneuver, or stop aggressively (planned or otherwise) I need to know I've got the traction to do it.

I'm going on 40 years riding, 35 of it on the street and track. It's my belief that tires are one of the single biggest factors affecting safety on the road.

Considering your experience, I'm surprised you don't agree. Maybe your level of experience makes it possible to determine the traction of an old/dry/cracked tire and stay within the its limits, but I wouldn't want a less-experienced rider to read your opinion and expect to be able to do the same.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote