View Single Post
Old August 18th, 2015, 11:48 AM   #4
APEmike
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300

I know how to make it happen.

Its a matter of finding the difference in wrist pin height and making up for it with a spacer plate between the block and upper case. Spacer plates are custom, but not expensive. As for boring and replating Nikasil bores goes, I deal with it daily. Its a long-ish process though where I work but its not hard, nor OVERLY expensive.

The other think you need to worry about is engine balance. New pistons dont weigh the same as stock pistons so you will have to get the rotating assembly re-balanced. A gram or two can make a pretty big difference in balance at 13,000 rpm.

Gaskets and a spacer plate are really no trouble at all to have made.

The trick to more power however is all in the head, and our problem is that the valvetrain materials are junk. They werent made for performance, they are cheap, lawnmower grade, welded valve head-to-stem low quality steel junk. I am currently working on trying to find a way to make some real race quality stainless valves, but it is slow going.

The way to go would be to find a real good spring (i know a couple different ones that work), titanium retainers (that nobody makes, yet) stainless valves(working on them), in standard or oversize depending on application, porting from someone who knows what they are doing(my friend/co-worker), some more compression as it is way too low for a modern street motorcycle(JE or Wiseco, pick one for the sticker you like more), and a cam to match the work and what the bike is being used for. Web Cam will be happy to make you a custom grind.
APEmike is offline   Reply With Quote