View Single Post
Old January 7th, 2016, 11:13 AM   #18
HoneyBadgerRy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninja 250, 04 KTM 625 SMC, 01 Xc250

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
It's getting harder to find good quality pregen parts on eBay. Everything about the newgen engine is better.

Better at holding valve lash/no risk of overtightening the lock nut on the rocker arm. You may scoff, but look at how many people do it.

More electrical overhead for accessories.

More power when doing typical bolt-on mods, like intake/exhaust.

Lower CR means less risk of knocking with bad gas.

They don't seem to get the Kawi tick as bad as the pregen does.

The oil pan holds ever so slightly more oil. Also, the drain plug is threaded into the pan vs the pregen threading the oil plug straight into the bottom of the case. Again, you laugh, but look how many users have stripped this out.

More aftermarket parts support for the newer engine. Clutch plates and springs, cams, timing changes, lightened flywheels, pistons, rods, etc. Pregen parts are starting their slide into unicorn-dom.

More mid range power from the factory. That's real world power, from 6,000-10,000 rpm. The pregen is fun being so high strung, but most of us don't redline the bike every shift, every time we ride. It's obnoxious to your neighbors. It's possible to be very fast on street and keep it at a sane 6,000 and 10,000 rpm all day long like clockwork.

Different way of attaching the drive sprocket. No more silly clip that's easily bendable. Just a locking nut, as is standard on nearly all modern bikes.

All of these things individually are solvable if you pay for them. But when you can get the whole package at once for so little money, why not?
You are completely correct for the average user and I am wrong, because I was thinking more along the lines of people like me and not the average consumer.
However, people like me who when they ride their bikes are always trying to eke the most power out of it, and don't care about the loss of midrange are the ones who would do a motor swap, and not many people who would do a motor swap would be swapping the motor for noise and reliability issues. (Atleast not that I have heard of).