View Single Post
Old July 30th, 2017, 08:54 PM   #1
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
DIY Starter Gear Repair

I bought 2nd 2008 Ninjette as backup race-bike with 3500-miles on it for $700 a couple months ago. It had sat for 2-years after guy crashed and set it aside (cracked fairing under turn-signal light, that's it!. Never got back on, so I picked it up for a deal!!! As usual, carbs were gummed up with green goo from dried gas. Battery completely dry from overcharging trying to start it at some point in those 2-years.

I tried cleaning carbs, just didn't have tools or patience. Meanwhile, the leaky float valves allowed gas to drip from tank through crabs and hydrolocked engine. Not knowing this, I tried to start it up one last time... >bbrrmrmr< >BANG< >CLUNK<... >WHHRRRrrrrr<. Yep, sound of backfire, locked engine and stripped starter ring-gear. So I sent off carbs to Ducatiman for refurbishing. Got them back this week (report in separate thread) and I really wanted to go riding this weekend.

Called around and no one had starter-gear for N250R, so I ordered one, but it won't be here until next week! I can bump-start bike and play Russian-roulette when turning off, hoping starter gear stopped with broken teeth not lined up with starter.... NAH!!! I want to fix this puppy now!!!

So, here's obligatory scary photo.

Lined everything up ready to weld back together. Nice sharp tungsten!

And... DONE!!!

Installed refurbed better-than-new carbs. Opened petcock and let sit for a bit for floats to fill up. Pulled choke and cranked about 3-secs... >BrrmmmBrmmmBrmmm< >VRROOOMMM!!!!!< Smooth and even like brand-new bike!!! Turned off choke in 5-seconds and it purred deeply like tiger, wow!!!

Went for 300-mile ride through NorCal up to Fort Bragg and down the coast. Scenery through Jackson State Forest is simply amazing!!! Gotta put 4000-miles on it before I can register in CA... Might use as training-bike at track and save my race-bike for races. Itching to try out new Dunlop Alpha-13 SP tyres. I noticed they have much softer sidewalls and casing when mounting on spare set of wheels. Perhaps they'll feel and stick more like Pirellis!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00-BrokenTeeth.jpg (148.0 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg 01-WeldPrep.jpg (160.9 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg 02-TeethWelded.jpg (141.0 KB, 146 views)

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; July 30th, 2017 at 10:13 PM.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.