View Single Post
Old March 18th, 2011, 10:36 PM   #13
CynicalC
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
I was searching the web to research the pros/cons of dry vs wet (grease) vs gasket maker vs spray on metallic, etc., gasket installation. I'm currently rebuilding a two stroke engine and the top end is about to go back together as soon as get the cylinder back from being replated.

The consensus is that each mechanic has their own ways/preferences and that the different types of approaches will work better depending on where the gasket is and what it does. In other words, it opened up a whole new can of worms and I'm still learning what to use where. The author of the linked website is a believer in greasing gaskets/surfaces before application in the majority of situations, but not all.

The basics remain the same though... the toughest part is to clean all of the old gasket material from the surfaces without damaging the parts. Removing gasket material properly is an entirely different subject altogether.
Ah. Yeah I was just trying to decide whether to use a dab of rtv or anything for the float bowl gaskets I'm replacing.
CynicalC is offline   Reply With Quote