Old May 25th, 2015, 10:13 AM   #8
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Don't be like that now, there is a ton of stuff going on in that intersection area. He just wasn't 100% at that moment. Being distracted, not looking/planning far enough ahead is sooooooo common. There was sooo much room to steer around the car and speed was not an issue for the most part, but hindsight is always 20/20.
I don't really feel for the bike more than him. I hope he's ok, heals soon and corrects whatever problem he had which caused him to f-up so badly.

I do think that his ability is likely way below the bike. That intersection looked soo~ mild compared to what I'm used to. Also - that stopping distance was huge and that bike is amazing. I personally don't think this is about me having the benefit of hindsight. I think this is about a rider who lacked the ability to safely ride on the street; at least on that day at that moment (maybe he was a bit drunk or fatigued? if so he shouldn't have been riding).

If I had to put money down, I'd bet on him being very new to riding.

Being distracted definitely isn't an excuse. Being distracted on a motorcycle is a major problem that a rider should put right to the top of their priority list in terms of self-work. M13's crash is massive testament to that. Even the most skilled motorcycle rider becomes vulnerable if they're not paying attention. I think it's not going too far to say: focus on your ride or die, when it comes to street riding.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.