View Single Post
Old July 4th, 2018, 10:32 PM   #1
Kitdog
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kit

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 1996 Yahmaha YZ 125... Both in Blue the coolest color

Coming back into riding.

So it seems this will be a long post
Well, back in the summer of 2011 I had a really close call, a car making the dreaded left hand turn with out looking, and I grabbed a whole lot too much of my front brake. Nothing happen, but I am sure she will look from now on seeing a bike doing a smoking stoppie right past her bumper. Rattled I took the ninja home, and life got busy. Days turn to weeks, to months to years.

Fast forward to spring 2018 and there the ninja still sat, in the exact same spot in my parents horse barn, right next to my yz125. I was just going to let it go, and got it out and listed it as a barn find on Craigslist. No realistic takers. Low ballers and people who wanted to sell my bike for me for a percentage of my asking price. Neither really engaged me.

In the meantime I pushed out my 125 which had sat for a little longer than the Ninja again considering selling it as well. I decided to give it a kick with 7+ year old gas... The dam thing fired right up like nothing, ready to go... I cleaned it up and changed out the fluids and got back on the horse... And there I was riding like nothing again.

SO after being on the YZ I decided not to sell the Ninja... Get it going again.

So the process to getting a ninja that had been parked as is for 7 years.
1)Drain gas tank, charge battery, No luck with battery, Purchase new one.
2)Bike turns, starting fluid gets it going. let it warm up fully.
3)Change Oil.
4) take for a slow light ride... going good, then it started to run crappy.
5) pull and clean Carbs, replace carbs into engine, fires right up.
After that It has run like a champ. I changed the oil after 100 miles, then 500, after that I went back to my usual change every 1000 miles.
Other than what was listed above, I also over a few weeks change out the coolant, brake fluid, and replaced all the rubber nuts holding the fairings on and other rubber bits that needed new.

Everything other than that has all been Farkles.

Anyway That's where I have been and just saying hello, Im New, old school. lol