View Single Post
Old September 30th, 2011, 03:38 AM   #19
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoulrath View Post
Can you please elaborate, since everything I have read and everyone I have been able to speak to who has track experience says exactly the opposite. The point of "kissing the mirrors" is to put more weight on the inside of the bike to minimize lean angle. I'm also curious on what your thoughts are on mass centralization? A higher center of gravity is only going to help so much, and only then for the initial turn in as I understand it.

Perhaps "kissing the mirrors" is not the right way to describe it. That's how several Rider Coaches on beginnerbikers have described the technique when giving advice. In addition, Keith Code has something he teaches to gain a bit more lean angle and it involves getting your head lower to generate just a bit more lean from the bike while maintaining stability. I forget what the exercise is called, and only read about it on the same forum after a track school discussion. Certainly not necessary for the road, but it has the same principle of more weight on the inside line of the bike to reduce the lean angle of the bike itself.

Finally, everything I have ever read points to "riding twisted" as not good. I have tried to ride like this myself, just for the experience, and the bike definitely felt less stable, and the tires less planted. While I don't think you could define the OP's riding as "twisted", her butt is hanging off the seat inside of center (barely but it is), while her head and torso stay on center.

Ok dude, I did this just for you. I googled this stuff just so I could give you some internet based information. This is stuff I've known since before we had internet , so I didn't have a source ready

I too have race experience and this thread is not about competition. I agree that she gets a bit kaddywhompus sometimes, but it's not happening the same way on all her turns so I was chalking that up to being new at it, and inconsistant.

Here are some picture with explanations. I'm trying to advise her to be the "rider sitting high" to help her get through the corners with less bike lean. As her speeds pick up, leaning her torso more forward and lower can come.