View Single Post
Old September 1st, 2016, 01:32 PM   #5
3ии
ninjette.org guru

Name: shinobi

Motorcycle(s): '13 ninja 300

i agree, NEVER. i am also aware of the process, and how/why this is done, mechanic by trade. apparently the mechanic at the dealer doesnt agree. i picked my bike up today, they replaced crankshaft, 1 rod, 1 piston, 2 rings(so they say), and head milled(so they say). i asked tons of questions they are probably not used to hearing, one of them was did they hone the cylinders. when he said no, i said why not, how are the rings supposed to seat? he got all defensive and said the mechanic that rebuilt this has 30yrs experience and he said it didnt need a hone. i call BS, it takes an extra 10 minutes since the block was already apart(so they say), and any experienced engine builder would home them, its a critical part of block preparation for the build.

what i think happened was that they disconnected the one rod from the crank, and let the piston/ring just dangle in the block since there was no visible damage and they were too lazy to ring it and hone both cylinders lol.

anyways, i told them after i break it in and do a compression test it will be coming back for another rebuild it the numbers are low. i asked him what a healthy engine(ninja 300) psi should be, he had no clue. i said around 200? he said lmk go check. he came out 5 minutes later and said they dont do compression test and they dont have the specs, they do leakdown tests. i said BULLSHIT, ill find out the numbers on my own, and if you dont do compression test, why the **** do they charge for them in all their service packages that are posted right there on the ****ing wall?

only reason anyone other than myself is working on this bike is because WARRANTY.

notes: bike spun rod at 1265 miles. 2013 ninja 300
will seat new rings over the weekend after this hurricane passes. here i come hard break-in
3ии is offline   Reply With Quote