View Single Post
Old September 1st, 2016, 03:17 PM   #11
3ии
ninjette.org guru

Name: shinobi

Motorcycle(s): '13 ninja 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacinNinja View Post
This is the second 300 I've heard of that spun a rod bearing. The other one is a member here too and it crapped out on a track day.

Any TSB's or anything out for it?
i initially suspected a broken rod bolt, like this
https://is.gd/FVQZaO
also drained a cup full of oil before i dropped thebike off, there were chunks(8mm or so) or metal, not flakes. if it did indeed spin the bearing, it was because of the rod bolt stretching or backing its way out.

what do you mean tsb's or anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinsky View Post
I'd say around 500 before you can really let go. I would think the honing marks will still be there from new at 1250 miles. Best do an oil change after 250 or so.
I would advise against a "hard break in over the weekend" It doesn't work that way. With rings it is more about initially keeping piston speed down than throttle loading.
The spinning rods is a serious sounding weakness. A recall would be very expensive for Kawasaki since there are so many ninjettes. If they can pin the problem down to a narrow window of engine production numbers then they might do it, if it is a general problem don't hold your breath.
What were the symptoms? so that other owners can minimise damage if it happens to them.
hard breakins dont work? supporting details please?
you are telling this to a guy who has broken in all my engines that way.

there were no symptoms, it happened really fast. i was a few blocks from home, engine lost power and started to vibrate. i shut it down and coasted home. tried to start it, it did not kick over, sounded like a dead battery. tried 15 mins later, it kicked over and i heard loud banging, and from experience, i immediately thought connecting rod. boy was i right
3ии is offline   Reply With Quote