View Single Post
Old February 6th, 2022, 08:46 PM   #38
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

this is very interesting to me as I have always used a stone hone in all the cylinders I have had off.... weather they needed it or not ! (even re using old rings)
putting those cross hatches in the cylinder really helps seat the rings...
but I have read where these new coatings honing is ill advised because of the coating because it is only a few microns thick if you hone it you remove the coating..... so that leaves me to wonder how long this thin coating will actually last...... pistons and rings really do ware down the cylinder wall fairly fast
and I would guess that within 2000 miles that coating would be completely gone with no hopes of finding any trace of it left..... even IF it is as hard as they say ! with that in mind how many miles do You guys think the coating would last on a cylinder ??? personally I would give it the benefit of the doubt and give it a maximum of 5,000 miles and then it is gone.... from brand new.
so if you have more miles on the machine than that I would think HONING would be a good thing
.... Now I am sure many of you will quote the manufacturers bragging of the coating will last 100,000 miles but do you really think they checked that with mileage on the road ? no they estimated it by the hardness ware of a normal cylinder and the new hardness of the coated cylinder.... which gives a really false impression of it's longevity !!!
....Bob...