View Single Post
Old July 15th, 2014, 09:12 AM   #8
cookiebug79
n00b with the b00bs

Name: Jen

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250, 2008 EX250, 2001 ZR-7S, 2010 ZX-6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim L View Post
Don't tear it down yet. I think you testing so far is inconclusive.

What were the actual numbers on you compression and leak down test? How were they done? Engine warm or cold? Oil put into both cyl to check rings? Did you use a leak down tester for small bore cyl? (the differential orifice should be 0.020" dia) What do the plugs look like? Good spark on both sides?

These are the first things I would look at; and then follow the detective trail, replacing the cheapest/easiest first.

I am a retired A&P mech for 50 years; and I recently got nailed by not doing the above correctly. I spent $2,000 on a top overhaul of a small diesel, by not testing the injector pump ($200) first. Yep, it was the pump that' "Oh no, they never go bad"'

Let's spend some more time scratching our... er, heads first.

Cheers,
The engine was cold, because it doesn't run. I know that's not ideal, but it's all I can do. I used the same gages, procedure, and a cold engine for the last 3 checks. (At one point I used a different gage and the readings were too different so I had to borrow the initial gage back from my ex.)

January 1/2/13 (when I got the bike) Cylinder 1 145 psi, 18% leak down, Cylinder 2 135 psi, 24% leakdown
July 7/13/13 (a year ago) Cylinder 1 154 psi, Cylinder 2 130 psi, no leak down done
June 6/28/14 Cylinder 1 170 psi, forgot to write down the leakdown, Cylinder 2 60 psi, 25% leakdown

The plugs looked ok. I tried swapping plugs and swapping coils. I also tried sparking the plugs with the coils grounded to the engine and both sparked ok. The battery is charged. The carbs are clean and properly adjusted (I'm a pro at that). The air filter is clean. The fuel lines look good. There's no vacuum leaks around the hoses on the carbs.

I have not re-built an engine by myself, but I really really want to. I freaking love mechanical **** (mechanical engineer). I really just want an excuse to rip into this thing. I have re-built various parts of various engines with various levels of assistance. I know how engines work and the general idea of what needs to be done. It's the specifics of "take this bolt off and hold the cam chain like this" that I'm looking for. The idea of getting a manual is a good one; I was hoping someone had already posted it with a lot of pictures.
cookiebug79 is offline   Reply With Quote