Old July 15th, 2014, 08:50 PM   #11
cookiebug79
n00b with the b00bs

Name: Jen

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250, 2008 EX250, 2001 ZR-7S, 2010 ZX-6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim L View Post
Thanks for the info.
How many miles? Do you have access to a smoke generator tester?
When you say leak down, do you mean two gauges showing differing pressure? What's the input psi? Where do you hear the air leaking out, carbs? exhaust? case breather? I'm still not sure it's rings; a valve can cause the same symptoms.

If it is rings, either manual will be quite satisfactory. You will just be getting the parts off and to the machine shop for them to measure, bore and hone. Then all back together.

As an engineer, you should enjoy the experience. Let us all know what you find and how the tear down/build goes.

Cheers,
About 16K miles. The last 1000 miles have been a hard life where I've been riding it on the track and it's been high up in the RPM's and hitting the rev limiter.

I do not have access to a smoke tester.

By leak down, yes I mean 2 gages, one with a pressure dial and one with % leak down. The supply pressure from my air compressor is 125 psi, the pressure gage used up to 100 psi. I was hoping it was a valve but I'm not hearing any air out if the carbs or the exhaust. Also, the leak down numbers are the same as when the cylinder had much more compression.

I have not done the oil test yet. I likely won't' be able to until next week. But it is a good suggestion.
cookiebug79 is offline   Reply With Quote