View Single Post
Old November 20th, 2011, 06:03 PM   #16
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

I'm a believer: bought it, installed it, liking how it operates.

Bought the Thermo Bob kit and installed it on my 2005 EX-250 fuel injection project bike.

Before the Thermo Bob my EX-250 was very cold-natured, it took forever to get up to anything even approaching a normal engine operating temperature and even then it ran pretty cool any time the weather was less than about 70 degrees, which is quite often here in Spokane. With temperatures anywhere below the mid 50s my EX-250's temperature gauge needle would only rise to just above the cold line.

Now, with the Thermo Bob installed I've been riding the last three days in temperatures from the mid 30s up to low 50s. In these temperatures the gauge needle now rises quickly to just below halfway on the gauge and stays there.

Today I connected up my netbook computer to the fuel injection ECU (Microsquirt) dataport and recorded a datalog of my ride with an outside air temperature of 47 degrees. The coolant trace on the 35 mile ride showed an engine temperature of right around 175 degrees during all of the ride which consisted of about half highway and half stop-and-go. The highest temperature of the day was 185 degrees occurred at the end of the ride when I sat stationary, idling in the driveway for a few minutes to see how high it would go.

As I've said, I'm loving how the Thermo Bob has corrected my EX-250's cold natured operation in outside temperatures below the mid 50s. Now it quickly achieves and holds a good operating temperature.

I'll have to wait until late June or early July to find out how it works in hot temps, but I'm not expecting any trouble because the Thermo Bob is just the combination of a slightly higher temperature thermostat and a small coolant bypass line which shouldn't affect the cooling system's ability to maintain a normal upper temperature limit.

Link to original page on YouTube.

greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote