View Single Post
Old March 15th, 2009, 02:10 AM   #27
VeX
That's me!

Name: TJ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r (Tis blue), 2008 CBR600RR

Heh as I said on the other forum about this:

"I hate to say it, but that whole build might look nifty, but won't work. For one the turbo is wayyyy too big. It won't pass the surge limit until maybe 11,000 RPM. Once it produces any noticeable boost, you're redlined... The intercooler is ginormous. Can you say pressure drop? That and the plumbing on that intercooler is retarded so you're going to get a big pressure drop in all the plumbing. By the pictures it's not nearly complete as the charge pipe to the intercooler is there, but none of the plumbing to the throttle body is there. They don't show any pictures of the exhaust plumbing (probably because they haven't done it yet). The oil feed and return line is cleanly done so kudos to that at least.

Basically it looks like a professional shop, but I don't think they've ever played with turbos before or quite know what the hell they're doing. "

As for making 100 hp out of a 250? Yeah that's entirely possible. During the "Turbo-era" of Formula 1 racing in the 80's they were pushing like 70psi of boost out of something stupid small like 100ci engines (That's a little more then 1.6 liters)... Then again they were running some crazy fuel that wouldn't detonate under that much boost (which you can't get), the driveline could handle that (the 250's transmission couldn't handle that, the chain wouldn't take it, and the clutch would assplode), and the engines were built to handle that much power for one race (meanwhile you'd melt your pistons, lose your connecting rods, crack your head and instantaneously blow your head gasket all over the place, and don't forget that you have to COOL all that extra power somehow). THAT and if you're going to run crazy boost like that you have to realize that the power curve on turbocharged engines is scary sharp (VATN turbo technology is still very new and will never exist for a super small turbo ).

That's why after about a decade Formula One banned turbochargers all together The cars were scary and people tended not to live very long driving them . IMO anytime you're pushing over 1 BAR of boost with a turbocharger you'd better know what you're doing because you're in for a wild ride!
VeX is offline   Reply With Quote