View Single Post
Old February 2nd, 2011, 09:25 AM   #53
Jinx250
Smoker

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Guess....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Got it, I didn't see it when I watched through it, but that's kinda the point. The presence or absence of signaling isn't enough to stay safe when about to travel next to a car. The more reliable way is to try and understand what the car is going to do (or be able to do) ahead of time. If there is a vehicle near or next to them, they are unlikely to move over instantly. Of course it doesn't mean you can hang out in their blind spot, or take your time while sitting in between cars; but it does mean that if you can get through quickly, it's likely a safe bet.

If a car in front of you comes up on a significant gap of traffic to the right, be extra aware of them having the ability (and sometimes, even the inclination) to jump into the spot. I've had that happen exactly as shown above, and the way to minimize the risk is to either stay back and see what's going to happen until the gap closes, or if you do start to enter the gap, move the bike over into that gap in the lane to allow more side-to-side space and give a larger escape route if the car does start to jump over.

This is exactly why I say to new riders, even ones in CA, DON'T SPLIT. Not when you're learning anyway. You do not yet have enough infomration to be able to make the right decisions. And sometimes, even that's not enough.

I'm lucky in that most of the time people either do nothing (no swerving either way) or move over to make more room, even if it's not necessary, for me to split. Every now and again, I'll see someone who will intentionally move closer to the line so I can't get by. This usually makes the car behind them slow down a tad, so I just go around behind to the other side and make the pass. People like that are better left waaaay in the rear view mirror.
Jinx250 is offline   Reply With Quote