View Single Post
Old March 13th, 2014, 04:04 AM   #5
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R, 02 FZ1, '20 Fat Bob 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxieman View Post
MSF course listings are available here..

Generally, locations run the Basic Rider Course, Experienced Rider Course (now listed as the BRC2), and Advanced Rider Course. Military bases also run the Military Sportbike Rider Course, which is the ARC curriculum with a different intro video and some revised language. I'd wager the Harley dealership runs an ERC/BRC2 and not the ARC, but either would be good depending on your current skill level.

If you have a couple hundred miles under your belt the ERC/BRC2 should be fine, it's essentially a slightly higher speed BRC on your own bike. The ARC gets into some more advanced cornering techniques and some higher speed drills (the swerve drill springs to mind as the most taxing on bike and rider). These higher speed drills require one to be more familiar with their bike going in, so I'd recommend being about a riding season, or the better part of a season in.

I have taken all of the above courses, and highly recommend ALL of them. I had been riding over a year when I took the BRC initially, and still learned a LOT. I had been riding for over a decade and had more than 60,000 miles under my belt when I took the MSRC and it's still a hoot. Getting the chance to have an instructor critique the simple stuff and keep the bad habits at bay is a great thing.
I agree, the MSRC or ARC is definitely worth it. Those swerve drills are no joke hah. The tight circles you do are good practice for looking way through turns too.
ForceofWill is offline   Reply With Quote