View Single Post
Old October 20th, 2014, 11:16 PM   #1
Scattcatt
ninjette.org sage

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2003 Honda CBR600RR

Sputters When Warmed Up

So, recent development with my '08, the bike is sputtering after the engine has thoroughly warmed up.

This started gradually, noticed it one morning on my way to work as an extremely slight sputter on the freeway, it was so slight that I was having a hard time distinguishing it from possible bumps on the road. Over the course of the next 3 or 4 days the sputtering got progressively worse after the warm up of the engine until it got bad enough to completely die roughly 1/4 mile from home while rolling to a stop sign. Luckily I was able to start her back up and get her home and she's been torn apart ever since.

First thing that came to mind was that it was a fuel delivery issue. Tried popping the gas tank thinking perhaps it was the all too common vacuum issue but this was not the case.

I also tried tearing the carbs off and peaking around inside to make sure everything was fine. She's my daily commuter so bad gas gunking up the innards was not something that I suspected, but I figured it couldn't hurt to check everything out. I inspected the seals, jets, floats, and the needle, only thing that was off strangely was a shim in one of the carbs, it was off floating around inside somehow.

After putting it back in place the bike still ran the same during a garage test. Started up and ran for the first few minutes just fine, then came all the sputtering and eventual shut down after getting up to temperature.

I put a snake camera down the valves and through the spark plug holes to check out the engine best I could and nothing looked out of the ordinary, though the piston heads did have a funny, rough texture to them which I am unsure of being normal or not.

Changed the spark plugs and still no fix. Going to change out the jets just to see if for whatever reason they need to be bigger but I'm doubting it, I've ran every day for the past year on the same jet sizes with no problems.

The bike has a little over 30,000 miles on it, Dynojet kit with needles on 2nd clip with 2 shims each, full Yoshi exhaust, snorkel delete, and removed air box with the K&N 0990 filter.

I am beginning to suspect electrical gremlins, bad ignition coils perhaps? Searched the site and various others with no real definitive direction to pursue. Any advice and/or further questions are welcome. Thanks guys.