View Single Post
Old October 26th, 2014, 01:28 PM   #7
Scattcatt
ninjette.org sage

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2003 Honda CBR600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
Bad gas or water in the gas can do exactly what you describe without clogging the jets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by broilmebk View Post
There are definitely several possibilities that will show these symptoms. I went through similar troubles recently.
I agree with Blue though, easiest check would be to dump the tank and bowls and put fresh gas in.
Today is the first day I've been able to sit down and work on her some more.

Drained the tank entirely (took the petcock off) and drained the carbs out and then put a fresh gallon of gasoline in.

First I did a garage test, turned it on and let it run in the garage for some time. There were some minor hiccups that I noticed and it did die one time over a period of about a 20 minute test but I gave it the benefit of the doubt and shrugged them off as potential air bubbles caught in the lines and in the carbs.

The bike reached a peak water temperature of about 198 degrees Fahrenheit before the fan kept kicking on and cooling it back off. I adjusted the idle to keep the RPMs at about 3,000 just to heat it up faster. I noticed that the idle RPM wasn't quite as stable as I remember while functioning normally, it fluctuated up and down by about 100 rpm at sporadic intervals.

About an hour later I took it out for a road test. Starting temperature was about 112 degrees, I rode it for approximately 2 miles in total but it still had sputtering issues, and it died while rolling to stop signs again.

Bad gasoline as the culprit is out of the question I would say. Worth the shot though.

So what's next? Coils? Is there a way I can test those with a multimeter?