View Single Post
Old October 26th, 2014, 04:51 PM   #8
Scattcatt
ninjette.org sage

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2003 Honda CBR600RR

Just got done with a multimeter resistance test on both coils, the details on how to conduct this test were in the service manual.

The service manual states that the ignition coil resistance should be between 2.1 and 3.2 ohms for the primary windings, and between 10 and 16 kilo ohms for the secondary windings.

The primary windings on both of my ignition coils are at around 2.6 ohms which is just fine, however BOTH ignition coils' secondary windings are at 18.5 kilo ohms. I have a hard time believing that BOTH of them would be bad, and it's even more strange that they BOTH would be bad reading the SAME resistance value. The service manual marks the ranges with a tilde indicating that they are approximate values so I'm thinking my values, though slightly outside of this range, are okay.

Can anyone confirm that they too have a value out of the service manual's range and are operating just fine? FYI, the bolts holding the ignition coils on are 7mm, and SUCK getting off if you don't have a 7mm socket. All my sets stop at 8mm...

I will be attempting a spark test here next. I will report back with my findings again.