Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati999 View Post
........ When I enter a turn, I end up making too many corrections since I am not sure of the "arc/line" my bike will take thru the turn. I try to use (as close as possible) the same entry point and line thru the turn each lap but I don't know if the added inputs are from lack of confidence or bad lines or both. Keith Code says "corrections mid turn are a survival reaction" but if my line is not correct then the "SR" becomes necessary to stay on the track. The uncertainty of the correct line, speed, throttle, and lean angle cause me to be "ready to react" and therefore "tight on the bars"...........
I believe that you need to "think cornering" less and learn to "feel cornering" more.
Finding the edge or limit is a goal, while cornering well or properly is a process.
If the goal is extreme, the fear to fail interferes with the natural feeling and eventual mastering of the process.

At its heart, cornering is making the bike describe a circular trajectory at the end of a straight line.
Circular trajectory means a unique radius.
The combination of that radius with the entry speed determines an also unique lean angle.
Apex is nothing more that the point were the geometric curve (smaller radius) and the circular trajectory (bigger radius) get close; just another reference point.

Knowing how to shoot a basketball correctly is the most important skill you need to master in order to play the game.
Only with inputs at the beginning of the throw or flight, you need to be able to put the ball in the hoop.
Cornering well is very similar, most of the inputs must be accomplished while entering the curve: after that critical point, the bike continues the circular trajectory by itself.

Rather than going through conscious thoughts and calculations, a good player must feel how to accurately shoot a basketball; after much practice, all the math and vision-muscle-hands coordination is quick and happens at a subconscious level.

Exactly the same applies to a rider: he/she collects information while approaching the curve (familiar or not), feels it and then instinctively produces the exact inputs of entry speed and radius of turn, shooting the bike and "putting it in the hoop".
Previous practice in many different curves has polished his/her collection of data, the subconscious math and the accurate control inputs.

Please, for the physical need of smoothness "close to the edge", see these:
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=119958

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=100964

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote