View Single Post
Old January 15th, 2014, 10:41 PM   #1
corksil
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

Area P full race exhaust/jetting/airbox-delete/kleen-air delete..

Just installed areaP mid high mount race exhaust full carbon muffler etc yada yada ya.

And the modified jet kit they sell.

And the K&N pod filter setup and deleted the airbox.

Deleted the kleen air system as well.

Cleaned the bike.. went for a short ride.

Will order the k&n ru-3230 crankcase breathers for valve cover and trans/crank vents. Currently running U-bent hoses to keep crankcase vapor away from the intake filter and keep rain out of the engine.

Bike is noticeably more powerful, but it's a subtle increase. Didn't really take it into high RPM as I didn't have helmet and it was dog-walking-hour in the neighborhood and everyone is already terrified of me and my skull mask and hates me and my loud machines.

Bike is also considerably louder. Thump thumping idle sounds like a 600 four stroke honda. There's a certain point in the RPM range around 4k where the bike definitely has a loud cracking to the exhaust note. Tried to ride it quietly home from my shop to my house and even lugging it in higher gears was a little on the loud side.

Noticed that starting the bike cold didn't seem to require choke and I could fire it up, drop into first gear and take right off with not much weak loss of power feeling that I used to have with the OEM stuff.

Also noticed minimal but certain popping backfire on deceleration and part throttle decel..

questions ----

- how do I know I've nailed it on the tuning? Reading plugs and feeling the powerband of the bike? Felt a little bogging when I opened it up to 12krpm, but could have been working air out of the fuel system from removing the tank and all the carbs etc.

- any other way to get more power out of the machine? I'm beating a dead horse here, already jetted, full exhaust, airbox delete, changed gearing etc.. I think I'm about at the glass ceiling of the most power I will get from a 250.

*Tuning notes* -- areaP stated in their documentation that their tuning shop was 160' above sea level, and they had best results on the dyno with 108 main jet, 2.75 turns out on the idle/air screws (under the plugs you have to drill out) -- and 3rd notch down on the needles with 2 washers above the c-clip.

I mimic'd their setup except for installing the 106 jet (instead of 108) as most of my daily riding is below 500' above sea level. My 'fun-roads' are a few thousand feet up the mountain so I opted down a size on the main jet to try and retain some higher-elevation power.

Very depressing to read that every 1k feet above sea level results in 3% power loss. My crater-road playground is above 10k feet... which means I'm losing 30% of my power, regardless of tuning.

Anyways -- I think I did pretty well seeing as I've never disassembled a carburetor or messed with jets before.

dear diary...
corksil is offline   Reply With Quote