Old July 5th, 2013, 12:47 PM   #12
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
Also, I think I forgot to push the airbox tube springs back forward onto the carb. It had a good seal, but would it make that much of a difference?

I'm 99% certain its the carbs, but I'm open to other things as well. I find it strange that a different carb would give it a totally different personality.

When I poured the gas out of the original carb into a jar this morning, I noticed it was kind of reddish brown. The gas in the tank is clear to slightly blue. The tank has no rust.
Yes, the springs make that much difference. My buddy's bike was missing the springs. Even with the boots sealed, they leaked. Then they kept popping off the carbs. Major PITA that was temporarily fixed by some large hose clamps until his OE springs got delivered. While it might not be the only issue you're facing but it certainly won't help anything if they're leaking even a little.

Reddish brown gas is bad.

Couple things from watching the video: has the tach always taken a second or two to respond to the bike starting? Mine did that every time when I was using carbs and the OE CDI. Never gave me issue. But if it's a change for you, that might be something to keep in mind.

Also, if it's totally fine today, I'm not betting it's the carbs. Unless it had something to do with the red/brown crud you drained out?
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote