Old August 18th, 2017, 01:18 PM   #92
VaFish
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
So, testing here and there has yielded some results. Found some that I like and some I'll give away to others to try.

- Paul Masson VSOP brandy (xo isn't bad either) - smooth and cheap. A great little brandy. Considering a 1.75L bottle is sub-$20, you can't beat it
- New Amsterdam vodka - smooth enough to sip solo, or mix
- Johnnie Walker Black - to me, just absolutely amazing flavor. Smooth and easy. A solid sipper.
- Makers Mark bourbon - this stuff is amazing. The flavor is good, as is the finish. A solid all around bourbon
- Blue Sapphire Gin - haven't tasted solo, but gin is a picky thing. Only really high quality ones are worth going solo on, but mixed, it is quite excellent
- Jim Bean Devils Cut - that wood flavor is way too much. Kills it. The taste kind of reminds me of what playdoh smells like
- Woodford Reserve Bourbon - if you like spice, this one works for you. A bit too spicy of a finish for my palate
- Monkey Shoulder scotch - a rather mellow scotch, but black label blows it away. I'd rather spend the bit extra and get something solid
- Jameson Irish whiskey - not bad, but it doesn't quite suit my palate. The finish ruins it for me. If memory serves, it is a bit chocolate in flavor. Not my cup of tea. I may have to sample something a bit higher in quality before I judge the brand. But, $90 for a 750mL bottle of Jameson Gold seems rather steep to me.
- Sheelin Irish cream - blows Baileys out of the water. Excellent for a sipping drink or in coffee.
- Glenlivet 12 - This brand is pretty much a standard for scotch. Fruity and pretty good. I honestly think I prefer the JW Black to this one, but don't let it throw you, this is a top scotch

I enjoy trying new things, so I sample friend/family collections and recommendations. If I can find a sample, I go that route. I don't drink that often, so I'm trying to really figure out what I like, and stock solid choices for when I do fancy a sip. If I have bottles of stuff around that is kind of meh, I save that for parties (sometimes take to one and "accidentally" leave it there )

I have a German cherry brandy on hand that I took a single sip of and poured down the drain. It was THAT bad. My step-dad recommended Leroux Blackberry Brandy. No samples available. Got a 750mL bottle and I'm going to gift it to him. I tried a few sips and it wasn't for me.
Try some Four Roses Small Batch
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.