View Single Post
Old September 22nd, 2018, 10:30 PM   #3
revolt_randy
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Randy

Motorcycle(s): 250 ninja

So here's where I'm at....

Dumped 2 1/2 gallons of rusted fuel and water from the gas tank. Got a good, rust free tank for the bike that I will be using. So tell me, what is the problem with these gas tanks? And how do I protect the tank I got that is rust free?

My first goal is to get the engine running before I dump one penny into this bike. I have to hear the engine run, before I spend money on it.

I rigged up a temp fuel tank and hooked up the carburetors, and tried starting it. No luck. In the process, I flooded the engine. I pulled the left spark plug out, but couldn't get the right spark plug out. Something is blocking the socket from getting on the spark plug. Can't see down the hole, took shots with the cell phone, and still I'm not sure what the problem is. The plug wire is intact, so it's not part of the plug wire that is blocking me.

Moving forward, since the fuel system is a mess, I decided to try to ether the bike. I hate using ether, but sometimes it helps. The airbox was a mess, not connected to the carbs, missing parts of the filter, etc... So when I tried the ether, I wasn't sure if it got into the engine.

I tore down the back of the bike, all the plastics, rear fender, rear wheel and got the airbox out. What a pain!

The airbox will be replaced with filters on each carb, and I assume the is a pcv vent that goes into the airbox that will need it's own filter?

Anyway, the bike is stripped down to the point where I can get ether into the carb's intake and try starting it.

I will report the results when I get back to work on it.

Any advice?
Randy
revolt_randy is offline   Reply With Quote