View Single Post
Old February 14th, 2023, 08:11 AM   #15
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Ok well after 2 days of searching and trying to find ANY vacuum leak I have a theory..... that I screwed up on the timing.... I went by the book...
I made a big mistake that I will never do again and that is not taking a picture
of the cams on 2T but I didn't !
after watching the videos dozens of times here on the site on how to check and adjust the valves on the 2012 I came up with what I think is the answer....
the book says to align the lines of the cams ex and in to the surface of the head.... that is technically WRONG because if you do that the marks in the middle of the cams that point toward each other are miss-aligned
you must align the ex mark with the head and the center 2 marks and the in mark on the right side will be slightly below the surface of the head.
.... I didn't do that.... I did what the book said, and it does not run right !
and I am almost certain that is why.... the in on the intake cam is level with the cam..... so it is one tooth off on the intake cam according to the video
he took a heck of alot more care than I did doing mine.... and I think he is right ..... so the manual is wrong....
I just came back in from freezing my butt off in the shop working on it and I have it where the valve cover is just about ready to come off.... and I will be able to tell what is what....
I will let you know what I find....
I dug in and hung with it for about 2 hrs. and the valve cover and plugs on the side to see the timing marks are all that is left...
and yes you can't feel the lever on the ratchet when your fingers are numb
( and that is with the heater going full blast !)
so next is seeing what the timing is at... and setting it correctly by removing the bearing caps again.... although I will pull the cam chain tensioner and see if I can move the intake cam one tooth down....first I might be able to pull that off.... I hope so.... just walk the slack chain over the cam one tooth ! ...put the cam chain tensioner back in and turn it a few times and find 2T again...and see if the cams are like in the video ....
if so I will put it back together and try it.
Don't make my mistake ! take a bloody picture ! a close one !
Bob.........