View Single Post
Old September 8th, 2017, 02:46 PM   #15
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakaru View Post
Definitely not trying to be a 'mirror' of Lyle, it was more a 'compare and contrast' than a 'how can I make myself look just like Lyle' (though more like Lyle in some regards would obviously be a win, seeing how skilled a rider he is!)

As for your comments: Hmm... I think I can kind of see it. When you say 'open hips more' can you put that in different words? I think that was one of those phrases I was interpreting differently that made my BP such a struggle. Do you mean like a hip-flexor leg rotation (where the leg is rotated from the hip joint farther out) or do you mean something more like a body rotation where the hips themselves move into the turn more?

For the shoulder the same question -- do you mean his body is 'tilting' more to the side rather than falling/crunching towards the tank?

As for the eyes: Yeah, I'm pretty sure he's not 'dead on' at the camera, but I've purposefully been riding with a clear shield to test a theory that seems to be bearing out. When Keith does his wide view 'lecture' to start Level 4 he talks about how far something moves to the side before our heads turn rather than our eyes. I've been testing this myself and find turning my head is actually pretty unnatural -- I let my eyes follow it all the way to the edge of their limit before I move my head. When I look at pics of myself and other riders in corners while 'straight ahead' isn't common, I find their eyes are much more 'centered' than my own. I've got a couple shots where I'm clearly at just about the limit of how far my eyes can rotate. Part of me wonders if this is a stylistic difference, but I've started taking a SOMA series and we ended up talking about this and she mentioned she's run into it before and it's common with anxious personalities and is related to my 'tense shoulders' (she did a cool trick where she put her hands on my neck/shoulders and could tell me where my eyes were looking from behind me). I dunno if we'll be able to do anything with it but if you've got thoughts or advice I'm all ears!
Open hips more: Point hips into the direction of the turn. Outside knee presses in even more and hips aim away from the tank more towards the mirror? Better. Hahaha. opening the knee up can help with this but it really is angling the hips.

Shoulder: yes tilting more towards the side as opposed to into the tank. Almost like you are just letting yourself fall over, leading with the shoulder. Yours tends to eek in towards the tank instead of towards the ground. Does that make sense?

Hard to tell what your eyes are looking at from a pic. The results will be in your line.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8745.JPG (139.3 KB, 2 views)
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.