View Single Post
Old November 15th, 2011, 06:26 PM   #50
Momaru
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyninja08 View Post
I DEfinately need this mod done. Will a dealer do this for me or is it done as a DIY only. And what exactley does this do that makes it run bettter? I have the bogging starts no matter how warmed up I get it and it is a concern especially at red lights. Thanks for the info.
If you haven't found an answer yet...
Usually a dealer will suggest/direct you to buy a jet kit (usually $90), in addition to the labor cost for installing it and dialing it in. The jet kit would have adjustable needles in it that would allow finer tweaking than using stock needles and washers, as well as parts for altering other parts of the fuel flow regulation system. The washers are almost exclusively a DIY, unless you've got a very good, flexible shop.

Essentially adding washers under the needles adds more fuel (richens the mix) in the midrange where our bikes are notoriously lean from the factory. A jet kit would also include a range of main jets to adjust the top end fuel flow. If you're sticking with a stock intake-exhaust setup, washers will likely be about all you need, maybe a little fiddling with the pilot jets (control gas flow for very low end/idle, but can affect flow across the range), which is fairly easy if you're patient and have a few tools on hand.