View Single Post
Old November 18th, 2011, 09:02 AM   #57
cbdallas
ninjette.org guru

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 650R

I tried this mod last night. No go. Everything came apart & went back together perfectly. The bike fired right up and ran on choke exactly how it normally does. Reved it up a few times, seemed to be fine. Kicked it into first, and it choked and died as I attempted to accelerate out into the street. Fired back up & attempted to ride. HUGE dead area between 2000 + 6000 RPMS, then, like an engine with big turbo lag, it would pick up and haul ass after 6000.

The O.D. of these washers was a couple mm smaller than 3/8, so I thought they'd work. When I took it all apart again, the washers had gotten lodged in the plastic retainers on the bottom of the springs, which caused the needles to stick in the 'up' position. Naturally, this causes very bad running <6000 rpm.

Should the needle be sliding up and down through the washer, or should the washer be traveling up with the needle? Whatever the case, the washers traveled upward, got stuck and then the needles couldn't drop back down.

So...should I be using smaller washers so they can't get stuck in the retainers, or larger ones so the retainers sit on top of the washers?

Removed the washers & re-assembled. It runs exactly like it did before, so I don't think there's anything wrong anywhere.
cbdallas is offline   Reply With Quote