View Single Post
Old December 29th, 2012, 10:40 PM   #73
ricomtzjr
Razor's Edge

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Sportster XL1200C

Completed this modification. Went with (2) #4 washers for each. I have noticed something different though. Now with the shimming, I notice easier starting, but also noticed that when I let off the choke to fast, it dies. This mostly happens when it's cold. The temps are in the 20s-30s in El Paso, and slightly higher in S.A. and the Dallas area. I didn't notice it so much in S.A. or the Dallas area though.

Could the shimming and decreasing cold temperatures cause this to happen? completely stock, I did not notice any sudden stalling when I reduced choke. After modifying, I have to slightly move reduce choke otherwise I will see spikes and sudden drops in idle as well as stalling. Other members on this forum said it could be a result of a cold engine. I will go ahead and check/adjust the carb sync.

Once the engine is warm, I don't have any issues. It runs great. I do get a small fuel smell from the exhaust. Could this be a rich condition causing the erratic up/down idling and stalling while cold? I will remove one washer from each side and see where I end up after that. I will keep you all posted.