View Single Post
Old September 29th, 2015, 09:28 AM   #33
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R, 02 FZ1, '20 Fat Bob 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
And my Honda Fit, purchased brand-new in 2008, cost me $16,000.

It gets 32-35 mpg.

Do the math to see how long I'd have to drive, at 20k of usage per year and $5 per gallon gas, to reach cost parity with your hybrid, even with tax incentives. Makes the proven, well-supported, old dinosaur ICE tech look a bit more attractive, doesn't it?

IMHO it still doesn't make sense to adopt the new tech and it won't until the total cost of ownership is within spitting distance.

Once the charging infrastructure is in place, it makes sense.

Once energy storage gets better, it makes sense.

All of this will happen eventually.

But until then, it remains a novelty and a conscience salve for the green-minded. (PS: Don't forget the TOTAL environmental impact of the tech, including manufacturing, use and disposal.)
Lol why do people always do that. They're not comparable. My energi is fully loaded with leather, all the electronic packages etc etc. An equivalent fusion ecoboost titanium is about the same money.

If I wanted a base model econo car I would have got one. I got the energi because it met all the criteria I wanted in the car plus I was able to get the plug in/hybrid part. So it actually does save me money since I'd be spending near 40 grand on a car regardless.

It's kind of moot anyway since I daily a 3/4 ton truck that gets 13mpg
ForceofWill is offline   Reply With Quote

5 out of 5 members found this post helpful.