View Single Post
Old December 10th, 2021, 06:28 PM   #240
shspvr
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): 07 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob KellyIII View Post
Ok I got it going again.... but it is running really poorly.... not like it was when I shut it off to do the rear brake by any means.....
.... I've thought about it a while and here is my GUESS as to why that is.....
1.) I replaced the old air filters that were beyond the need to replace they were brown with many years of use and crushed in such a way as to keep them from sealing real good with the air boxes.... so they got new air filters....
BUT the engine's carbs were tuned to that restricted air flow and although I got it running real good that way, I UNRESTRICTED the air flow ( hopefully) and now the carbs are set way too lean.... any thing off Idle runs great ... it's the idle adjustment
that is the problem right now... I played and I do mean played, with the air screw adjustments and got it running a bit better but not by much I had to raise the idle screws a long way just to get it to hold RPM at 2000RPM then I slowly backed them down and the slower the engine ran the worse it got....
till it finally dropped the left cylinder completely .
.... I wouldn't think that dirty air filters would cause me to have to re tune everything
but that is what it is looking like ! ...
it's also possible that one of the cables is out of it's holder and causing it not to be synchronized.... but that shouldn't affect IDLE ! ( if the one slide was held further open then the other one I suppose it would)
it would NOT run with the choke off.... flat out would not run.... which tells me the air screw adjustments are way out of whack now....
so I am back to square 1 now with getting the bike to run smoothly at idle...
grabbing RPM's was good and running above 3,000RPM was flawless.
but below that it starts to mess up, missing staggering and what not.
.... I have to get it to idle at 800 RPM to adjust the airscrews.... and anything below 1000 RPM or more it wants to drop the left cylinder completely...and then it dies.
..... sounds to me like it is air screw adjustment on the left cylinder at the moment
...but I moved it out and it wasn't any better.... ( i did not go in with it, )
I suppose the pilot circuit could be clogged even though I put on new filters in the gas line circuit ( new petcocks ) but dirt and crap could have made it's way through the lines to the idle jet already..... unlikely but possible !
with all my playing with it , trying to get it to run good, it got fairly warm so I had to quit and let it cool down.... I didn't have my fan on for the engine.
I am tempted to go out there and turn the air screws to 1.5 turns out and try it.... that is what the Carbs came with.... i have no idea what they are now
probably around 3 turns out.
no doubt I have never had this problem before as when you turn the bike off when it's running good tear into it and put it back together again it usually still runs good..... but I did change a few things...
ooooh well !
later !
Bob........
Have you done a compression test on both cylinders and what does the plugs look like after running for five minutes
shspvr is offline   Reply With Quote