View Single Post
Old April 20th, 2023, 02:35 PM   #22
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

I don't know for sure Gordon but I don't think so, that looks to be the vent I think....it is high and to the front of the carbs (when I sprayed it was down past the caps of the CV portion down on the outside body of both carbs...so if a connector between the carbs is leaking it is probably the back one by the bowls...)
I am not as stupid as I thought I was as I do have pictures of the hookup of the hoses before removal and cleaning and I am certain now that I had them hooked up correctly... however your not supposed to raise the idle if you sprey
carb cleaner between the carbs.... and I only have that as a reference..."between the carbs" i have no idea if its in front or in back or dead center I just know that it's between the carbs...I first thought that it must be the connectors between the carbs as that is the most likely area to leak suction
....I went out there and EYE balled the carbs and I did not see 2 connectors between the carbs just one at the bottom back.... that is the one I was going to Shoe-goo ! rather than split them....
so I don't actually know if it is leaking at that point or not..... probably but that is all....
this carb cluster has 2 cross over connectors to join the carbs together one at the top that I call the carb vent tube ( gas poured out of it when I turned them upside down) and the other at the bottom back by the bowl
there are 2 vacuum hose connections there one from the venturi area that goes to the top of the decell valve and the other by the back of the throat of the carb to the underside of the decell valve both are hooked up and in place from Gordon's rebuild . nothing looks bad or out of place.
the bottom connector is obviously the gas feed to that Right side carb....i didn't see that earlier... so shoe-goo isn't going to help it at all.... and it's not leaking fuel anyway. .... that only leaves the top vent tube if it is indeed a vent tube open to outside air it shouldn't matter in the least.
and spreying carb cleaner on it may well result in a faster idle.... so that is a bust....
or it could be sucking air from the choke area....but the choke operates perfectly every time so that is unlikely if it did suck air from there I doubt it would be enough to give me a humgous flat spot from everything from idle to 6 grand.... that is a big air leak not a tiny seep
....so I pulled the carbs off and found nothing.....
i did notice that the carb vent tube does rotate easily the small amount it can move.......
I do not want to split the carbs
Danno there is no inline fuel filters in the fuel line , I put a proper inline filter on shortly after I got it and cleaned the carbs myself ...
I am almost positive the vacuum lines were all connected correctly
..... However I am now running the bike on a axillary fuel tank and have the gas tank lines all plugged as well as the one to the petcock
....but it would not take throttle at all.
...I am at a loss here. from what I know it should run and run better than it ever did.... but it will not take throttle
Bob.