View Single Post
Old December 9th, 2008, 03:11 PM   #7
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
I find it quite a pain to get the cables adjusted correctly and if you have one correct and the other incorrect, the net result is that it's out of adjustment. The worse that could happen if the single cable breaks is that the bike will go back to idle... the same in a push/pull setup.

I'm looking for reasons for why I need to keep it that may affect the bikes proper operation or ridability.
I'm not sure that's the case. With two cables (one push/one pull) + the return spring, there are 2 levels of protection. For the throttle to be applied against the rider's wishes, one of the cables needs to break and the return spring needs to break. (and the return spring is quite light on ninjettes).

Removing one cable means there's one less safety net. And even in a non-critical situation, it's one less component that may be used to idle the bike home carefully (if we notice one cable has snapped but the throttle is still mostly usable with one left). We can debate the likelihood of any cable (or return spring) failing under normal usage, but these types of things are designed for that 1 in a 1000 shot, not because it's expected to happen on 9 out of 10 bikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
From the reasons you stated, you're keeping it just cause it's there.
From the reasons you've stated, you're considering modding it because you have run out of other things to do to the ninjette.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote