View Single Post
Old November 21st, 2011, 01:13 AM   #10
headshrink
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

@wellcraft I was inspired by your design for the switch mount. I LOVE the way you only used the existing bolts to hold them. Here's my version.

It's funny that I bid on the red G.I., but got the blue one. No matter, I actually changed my mind and wished I had bid on the blue one anyways, so it's all good.

I installed mine today. I started the bike up on the stand, but still need to test it on the street. On the stand it shifted up fine, but when I shifted down, it got to 1 way to quick. I'll have to see if it does this on the street too. I will probably have to fine-tune things a bit.

Initial thoughts: Dang, can they use a smaller gauge wire!!! I had to remove the razor blade from my utility knife and carefully shave the insulation. Good old, cheapo Chinese junk! The auto-dimming feature is a VERY nice feature, but it should dim at least twice as much as it actually does. I think it will still be a bit too bright at night, but I haven't actually tried it yet, so maybe it's good.

I used 26 gauge sheet metal from HD to fabricate the sensor plate, and magnet arm, and also picked up some shears. Cutting the sheet metal was VERY easy with the shears (almost too easy). However, if I had to do it again, I may go with a little thicker gauge (just one step). The 26 gauge will totally work fine, once fine-tuned, but it seems a tad flimsy to me. Since I also had to buy sheet metal sheers, I learned there are WAY more types than I realized. Apparently some are designed to cut only straight, others straight and left, and still others straight and left/right. So read the labels very carefully if you go buy one. The sensors, and magnet were only secured with hot-glue. Once I have things fine-tuned, I may go back and use something a little stronger, although I suspect hot-glue will still work as a permanent solution.

Here are a couple pictures of my G.I.:

I love all the extra information above my instrument cluster (longer trips add GPS above the cluster). The new gear indicator and temp. gauge is obvious, but the LED to the left of the G.I. is the indicator to my AutoSwitch. If you don't know what an AutoSwitch is, they are awesome (as I approach my house, I flash my lights twice, and my garage door opens)! It isn't at all necessary, but it's pretty. I used a short length of angled-aluminum, for the bracket, shaped with a bench grinder and Dremal. The bracket and the temp. gauge was mounted with Velcro, but the G.I. was mounted with hot glue.

I was going to spray paint the switch bracket black, but one I got it installed, and put the fairing on, I barely notice it. I'll probably just leave it as-is.

A little closer.

Last futzed with by headshrink; November 22nd, 2011 at 12:01 PM.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote