View Single Post
Old December 2nd, 2011, 08:53 AM   #35
jdoucet93
ninjette.org sage

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2009 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal5646 View Post
Got mine in today and just finished the install....

Pros...

Works great! Got it lined up perfectly and it is accurate as hell! Tried everything I can to make it mess up and it doesn't!

Blue led matches well with the paint!

Cons...

Took FOREVER to install! Part of it was the fact that the OP's instructions say to Hooke the white lead with the + terminal to the neutral light. THIS IS INCORRECT! The white wire requires a (-) signal to reset the counter (neutral). Other than that, it took me 3 attempts to line up the sensors properly. I'll take a pic of the locations of the sensors and magnet and upload....

Wire comes out of the side of the unit, not the back...so flush mounting it is out of the question....I have it to the side of the windshield

All in all a great little mod! Thanks OP for the heads up!
Glad you got yours working!

About the neutral wire, I absolutely have mine attached to the positive line for the neutral light. When I saw this I went out and tore the front of my bike off to get to the wiring and tested it with a multimeter.
Now I'm no electrical genius but I believe that all the (-) wires on the bike (aka grounds) are all basically directly connected to the battery by the battery being connected to the frame and all of these wires being grounded to the frame. So all of the (-) wires on the bike always have a signal going to them.

Here's how I tested this: Find something that receives switchable power (something you can manually switch on and off (ie. neutral light.) Now find a constant power source (something that is always on when the key is turned) I used one of my dash lights.
Now, Switch your switchable power source off(if your using the neutral light, just put the bike in gear). Now place the (-) probe from your multimeter onto the (-) input on the neutral light and place the (+) probe onto the (+) input from your constant power source. The multimeter will now read ~12v even though your (-) input shouldn't be receiving a signal.

If what you were saying, Socal5646, was correct, the meter would not register anything. I'm not sure what kind of bike you have but maybe it's designed differently than our 250s. Although i'm pretty positive all vehicles employ this same design.

Either way, thank you for your input.
jdoucet93 is offline   Reply With Quote