Thread: 250r track bike
View Single Post
Old October 20th, 2019, 10:52 AM   #2
GAU-8
Socially inept. Yet FUN!

Name: C

Motorcycle(s): Current machines- 1992 SECA II 600, 2006 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250

TL: DR
Buy the SPECIFIC FIT clip-on for the Ninja 250. Woodcraft is one, brand, i think the other is Driven. ( Spend the 160.00 to 200.00 Dollars.)

The long read.

As for hardware, members have had bad luck with generic 37 mm clip ons. ( if mounting them under the triple tree) and some issues mounting them in the stock position.

Under the clamp, the bars, and or cables contact the bodywork, and you no longer have full lock to lock steering. ( and it removes quite a bit of safe turning radius.)

Above the clamp, you have to raise the forks higher, so there is a good bite, for the clip ons. Depending on style, degree of angle, and where the bars are positioned, still going to run into clearance issues.

TWO concerns.

1. The front is agressively lowered, yet, your body position is the same. Some like the stink bug look, some don't. But technically your body position is the the same, as stock. So money spent, to make something work...that puts you in stock position again. ( and minimally at best, changing the steering angle.) It could be twitchy. I don't know, as I haven't done this to my Ninja 250. ( I learned the safety clearance/travel issue the hard way, on another bike.

2. SAFETY What a lot of people don't realize is that when you raise the forks, you are decreasing safe fork travel for emergency braking. I.e. raise the forks 2" and you have REMOVED 2" inches of suspension travel. ( Bottom out big time) You can compensate by changing springs and oil. Again though. Thats a lot of work just to generic fit clip-on ( and money) just to say "i have clip ons!"

Do not by generic clip-ons that say " fit ninja 250/300, cbr, fzr. Gsxr" etc. They are going off of MM size of tube, and have NOT actually test fit them on the NINJA 250. ( even the offset, with raised clip ons.)
GAU-8 is offline   Reply With Quote