View Single Post
Old May 3rd, 2016, 07:50 AM   #19
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
My only guess is that the biker assumed the car was taking the ramp there. Not sure where the bike was at the beginning of the video, but the car did come in from the right and quickly get all the way over to the left lane; he might have seen that and figured he was getting over for the ramp.

The rider changed lanes (without any checking or signalling) directly into the side of the car. The only thing I can think of that might absolve him of any share of the responsibility is if the car had left its blinker on from the lane changes, which would be signalling that he was taking the ramp. Even so, the rider should've actually checked to see if the car was already in the spot where he was trying to put the bike (to me, that's basic self-preservation instinct).

The driver does occasionally glance down toward the radio area. He doesn't appear to be stereotypical "texting & driving" or anything like that. He might have just been glancing down at the clock or checking GPS or something. You can see him checking his mirrors while he's stopped, and he has a dashcam, so I don't think he's a typical oblivious driver. If he had been fully focused directly on the road ahead, he may have been able to avoid the bike. Keep in mind that moving around in the lane can make it harder to recognize when a bike is changing lanes. He started out in the middle/right of his lane, so the driver may have assumed the bike was just adjusting his lane position until it was too late to react.

If your defense is that you expect people to react quickly and correctly when you do something obviously stupid, you're gonna have a bad time. Always look to see if there's something in the way of where you're trying to put your bike, even if nothing is supposed to be there.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.