Old March 7th, 2015, 08:50 AM   #25
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitecontrol View Post
Motorcycles are no more dangerous than crossing the street in heavy traffic or driving a cage. The danger comes from incompetence, inattention, ignorance, and stupidity, several of which apply in this case.
I see your greater point, but I do think that someone exercising "incompetence, inattention, ignorance, and stupidity" is much more likely to get hurt on a bike than they are in cage (on the road).

I just recently started driving again and I've been pretty blown away by all the safety features my pretty basic car has that are just non existent on my bike. Air bags, specially designed protective frame, windshield that holds together when smashed (rather than getting shards of glass in my face), seatbelt, ABS (still not on every bike) and a loud horn (not the pathetic thing they normally put on motorcycles). This doesn't even take in account the wide, highly visible profile of the car and the fact that I can take corners hard and brake hard in my car without the high level of skill and practise required to brake and corner hard on my bike.

Like I said though. I see your point: the bike isn't the problem, it's the mindset of the rider.