View Single Post
Old November 18th, 2019, 12:25 AM   #11
LR44
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderDonnie View Post
Ever figure out the problem to this? Sounds very similar problems with what I am currently going through!
It is possible that my bike is running a tad lean but I expect it has more to do with the cold weather than anything else.

Obviously, carb is responsible for the mixing of air and fuel; however, unlike the engine, it doesn't generate significant thermal energy on its own. When the gaskets, diaphragms, and other rubber components are subjected to cold temperatures, they stiffen considerably. Any change in the behavior in any of these components can have a noticeable effect on the performance of the bike as it would affect the air/fuel mixture, at least during startup when the engine hasn't had time to sufficiently warm the carb.

My suggestion is that if you have to start the bike at or below 40*F, give it half-choke before hitting the starter. It may rev like a banshee at first (mine does) but then back off the choke so that the bike's tach stays somewhere between 2000 to 3000 rpm. Let it sit there for a minimum of five minutes. At this point, make sure that you reduce the choke so that your engine settles near its normal idle rpm before riding off. If you kill the choke while you're riding and the engine starts bogging down, stop somewhere and reapply some of the choke. This nearly happened to me once but the temperature was around 15*F at the time (I have winter gear ).
LR44 is offline   Reply With Quote