View Single Post
Old November 16th, 2010, 05:19 PM   #1
Terrorizer
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 1989 Honda NT650 Hawk GT

Now I have to change my Handle!!

What does that mean? well trying to live up to the name "Terrorizer" in this day and age is fairly politically incorrect I suppose, but the reason for it has more to do with my " Ex -Exhaust" than my personality. I "had" a Yoshimura 2-1 (1994) vintage exhaust system on and I took that thing off and replaced it with a stock one I bought on ebay for $28 bucks. Once again it seems is also a politically incorrect thing to do in this day and age of " extreme exhaust modifications" that I read about daily. I purchased the Bike 2 years ago this way with the Yoshi exhaust and while I love riding it, the noise is making me mental.. I just couldn't take it any more so I did this...Crazy eh? So maybe my new hobby is De-Modification! what a Concept! taking a modified bike and De-Modifying it! holy crap!

Don't get me wrong, I did get pirelli tires because that just makes sense and I love those tires and thats a modification that can save your butt. But this obnoxious exhaust noise isn't for me.

So after getting a couple of missing gaskets and installing it, I fired it up last saturday morning (nice day in Boston 60 degree) and it started and idled perfectly. the first amazing thing was how quiet it is! wow... what a difference. ( I think the main jet is stock anyway blah blah)

I took a nice 70 mile or so loop around my favorite suburban curvy roads ( I was flying at some parts, riding faster than usual actually) and had a gas! could hear the wind and not just the exhaust all the time. ( Yoshi slows me down because of sound?)

I'm going to take alot of heat about this aren't I?

So the verdict is, I like the stock sound, goes nice with the high rpm factor of the 250, calms it down a bit. The combination of the high rev of the bike Plus old yoshimura 2-1 with can is unbearable at times, hey just me!..

btw, no large performance difference , maybe better mid range acceleration slightly, but the bike pulled fine with the stock setup. I liked it.

Ok folks, Ready, Aim Fire...