View Single Post
Old October 16th, 2014, 11:49 AM   #27
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
Are you saying that the weather is affecting my handling or control inputs?
As the weather gets colder it becomes much more difficult to warm up the tires. Cold tires on a cold road = slippery, squirrely feeling and much less grip. You need to be conscious of the road and tire temperature and alter your riding a bit to compensate. That means that you will need to take more time to warm up your tires and be much more careful leaning your bike over until they come up to temperature. Control inputs should be smooth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
@Motofool thanks for the info, I will check that stuff. I spent some time this weekend practicing hard braking and have gotten much better with not using too much rear.

I'm pretty sure that the problem I was having was due to my control inputs in colder weather, because this morning it was back up to 60 degrees and everything felt normal.
Sounds like that was for sure the problem. I'd really suggest trying to use much less rear brake and concentrate on using more front for emergency and general stops. The front brake is capable of doing most (if not all) the braking and many riders don't realize just how hard they can squeeze the front lever or how quickly they can stop. Take time to practice your stopping somewhere safe and you will be much less likely to suffer a serious slide if you know what your bike feels like under hard braking. For more info on emergency braking you can read my article here:

Ride safe
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.