View Single Post
Old October 31st, 2021, 12:07 PM   #29
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Well, the ongoing saga of Bobs Triumph 750 just got extended a bit....
this is where the old age of the machine comes into play.
I pulled the left carburetor and in so doing I noticed I had to pull the slide out
fairly hard....it didn't want to just fall out like normal. not good!
and after checking that the carb was clean and indeed the previous owner did clean it real good, I started to re assemble the carb to the bike again, that is where the trouble started.....
the slide did not want to go in..... it would barely start then jam up and not slide any more.... I figure I scratched it getting it out and so I took 220 grit and sanded off the scratches around the slide and in the carb slide area....
I'm still doing that an hour later but it's almost ready to slide in like it should.
over time heating and cooling will make parts warp a very small amount and
that is what has happened to the body of this carburetor, so I am trying to concentrate the sanding there and not on the slide...
it should be that just a light scuffing is all that is needed to make the slide conform and work properly, but on this stubborn Triumph that is not the case
I've yet to check the timing on the beast but it's gott'a be close
it still won't start for me without quickstart, which makes no sense to me...
it should be starting real easy. so I am double checking everything I can think of....
the sparkplugs are BLACK..... that's the main reason I pulled the left carb...
but I have found nothing amiss !....float level looks proper (but no way to be positive)
its got NGK B6ES plugs in it and it calls for Champion N3's (I have 4 champion N3's coming .....)
I started to take the tank off but gave up on that idea, as there is a plate under the tank connecting both sides of the tank for some reason.... ( not stock i don't think) and sure as you bet your grandma's Undies I just know as soon as I pull one of those bolts out I'll have gas pouring out ! so I cleaned up the main tank bolt( very rusty) and put it back together and just took off the carb from the side.
... anyway.... the quest to get it running good continues, I was hoping to take it for a ride today as I finally did get it to idle.... and it cleaned up and ran fairly good... but no way I am going to get that carb back together today as I am tired already ! LOL getting old sucks !
what I went out there to do was drain the oil out of the engine and replace it with20w50.... but I got de-railed by the carb.
right now it is OVER FULL with thick black oil.... probably mineral oil
and I want it out of there !
.... and if I hear rods knocking after I do that...I'll know WHY the previous owner did that !
.... it will be pull the engine time and DO A COMPLETE REBUILD !
....but oddly enough the little running I've done to the bike the oil level has INCREASED.... to the point it wants to run out the fill cap on the frame !
so pulling the plug at the bottom of the frame is next on the list !
later !
Bob.........