View Single Post
Old November 5th, 2021, 05:49 PM   #41
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

doing a quick pliminary check on the Triumph I discovered a few things.
I pulled the spark plugs and tried using my compression guage on the left side
but sense it is not a screw in compression gauge it pops off while I am kicking it.... it did register over 100psi though....
I resorted to the old stand by and that is putting my thumb over the hole and kicking it and it blew my thumb off the hole with a loud pop on both cylinders
...so I am assuming it has good compression.
I noticed that the points plate was twisted all the way to the right in the slot...
so I loosened the screws and centered the points plate in the slot and that may have helped and may not have it fired up ( with quickstart) but would drop to one cylinder at idle.... I am NOW suspecting the pilot jet is plugged on the left cylinder... so when the new high altitude main jet gets here I'll pull both carbs and do a real through job at cleaning the carbs and install the new main jet
..... no...i didn't pull the pilot jet out when I had that carb off a day ago and I am kicking myself for it ! ....
setting for 15 years usually means dirty carbs is a given... but this monster has a inherent timing problem that i seem to have focused on... it's just about impossible to adjust the timing without it running good at idle
so you can hook up the timing light !... so I am at an impasse .....
I don't think the fuel air screw is doing anything on the left side at all so I suspect a plugged pilot jet.
I think....and I do mean THINK...the timing is good enough to get it to idle
if both carbs are working correctly.... so when my timing tool for the crank gets here.... and the main jets I will do the carbs , removing everything I possibly can and cleaning it thoroughly .... now I wish I had bought a sonic cleaner ! LOL

... it almost idles on the one cylinder by itself but not quite
it runs nice above 3k RPM as close as I can tell that would be off the main jets..... but anything below that it stagers and drops a cylinder then picks it up then drops it again.... alot like the Ninja was doing and I know now that is dirty carbs....( it's still cold blooded by the way)
and I put too much oil in it.... it was at half way point in the dip stick now it's at the top wanting to over flow.... what's up with that ???? weird !
one thing for certain ! I do NOT understand all I know about this machine
but I guess that is what makes it kind 'a exciting... learning new things
so I've gone around the bush and arrived back at where I started from.... CARBS !

Bob.......