View Single Post
Old November 6th, 2021, 02:59 PM   #46
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

I think the main issue is the nut behind the wheel in this case...
I didn't know it had no pilot circuit so I left the airscrew alone....
turns out I should have fiddled with it alot more and I probably would have gotten it to fire at idle ...I think it was too rich to run down at low rpm with the factory settings .... I am in the process of trying to install the electronic ignition now... I think that will cure all the problems....at least I hope so
right now there was no reason for the carb to be at fault other than adjustment of the fuel air screw.... every hole and orifice in that carb is clean...I am positive of that...I took my time and did it right.
now I have both carbs off tank off seat off and am working on getting the coils out and replacing them as it takes 2 6v coils in series to make this electronic ignition work. I am still waiting on my TDC tool it should be here monday but there is alot of preliminary B.S. to get done before that is needed so I figured I'd get started on it.
the mark on the alternator rotor is for TDC but there is none for full advanced position at 38Deg. that is where the TDC tool comes in at there are supposed to be 2 notches in the crank flywheel one for TDC and the other for full advance at 38Deg. BTDC.... I need that mark for setting the electronic ignition magnet at the correct spot.
.... if anything gives me trouble here it will be the wiring, as I am not positive weather this bike is Positive ground or negative ground.... the E.I. will work with either, but I need to know one way or the other ...so it's manual time...
can't tell from the battery hookup ... but there is a fuze on the neg side which is odd ! so that may denote positive ground.....
but the manual should tell me for sure !
later...
Bob........